Skip to main content

No Joy in Writing

Though I am a true writer, I think it is important I say this: writing is not fun. I doubt it ever will be. It is lonesome, frustrating, difficult and all-consuming. So why do I do it? Why do I spend hours of my time miserably trying to write down those perfect words? Why do I put myself through something that gives me total unrest? Because my dear, sweet reader, I will suffer all the more if I do not.

Writing, in any way, shape or form, forces us to face our thoughts. That is the purpose. Our thoughts are born in our head, pushed down our neck, sliver down the arm, onto the fingers, through the pen and finally onto paper. Once there, we cannot escape them. We cannot deny them. Whether good or bad, smart or dumb, those words are our thoughts. No one else can think them but us.

The good news is that writing our thoughts is an immediate release of pressure. Almost like they were trying to escape our heads in the first place. I cannot sit idly by while these bionic, supercharged, jittery thoughts bounce in every direction, pushing against my skull. They must be released and transferred to paper. That is my reason for writing.

Let us now discuss the consequences of writing: Lonesome, frustrating, difficult and all-consuming.

Writing is lonesome. It is a solitary process allowing only enough space for one: the writer. My process of writing is as lonesome as they come. I write my best when locked up in my room, preferably at night when all other beings are unconscious. Others are only a distraction. They cannot help me with my own thoughts. I find myself lonely, yes. But as the proverb goes, “for all great things a sacrifice must be made.”

Writing is frustrating. The problem with writing is that, as we have already established, the words will always be our own thoughts. Sometimes complete, but not very often. Incoherence is more like it. You’re in your head 24/7, tell me, what do you see? Hard to describe? Yes, I know. Our minds are infinite containers filled with millions of thoughts; completed, broken, beginning, divided, imaginary, multiplied. (Imaginary thoughts are those pesky ideas you once conceived but never fully formed. They were almost there but cannot be recalled.) The process of writing challenges us to piece together those millions of thoughts and make sense of them. You can see how it would get frustrating.

Writing is difficult. It is an intellectual process much like the study of math or science. Schooling is involved in creating progress, either of one’s own accord or by an educational system. For those looking to excel in writing I would suggest both. Writing comes with its challenges. At times, it is likely the writer will want to give up. But just like the marathon runner pushes through the pain in his knees and the shortness of breath, the writer too must push through the indecisiveness of words and lack of inspiration. A good writer must force his or her hands to move and create words then foster those words. Upon mastering this, he or she will be pleased with their perseverance. Just like the marathon runner.

Writing is all-consuming. I feel a thought in my head growing and growing. It could be a great idea or it could be plain old bullshit. Problem is I will never know until it is fully developed. For any development to occur, the thoughts must be organized and presented as evidence on paper. I must stay with each thought all the way through. The thought, whatever it may be, is in my head waiting to get out. Again, I will be in my room writing, thinking, and writing some more. No company, no break, and certainly no joy. I know others are outside. I can hear them through my window. Playing, laughing, talking. Yes it does sound like fun, but I do not care. All I can think about are mastering those thoughts, grabbing hold of each one and piecing them together. Writing is all-consuming.

It does not sound pleasant. I told you it wouldn't. There is no joy in the process of writing only because the joy comes in the end. The finished product, the opus, the masterpiece. That is what writing is all about. That is my purpose. When it all comes together and my compilations of words have completed their purpose that is when I am content. It is at the end when I am rewarded for the isolation, frustration, labor, and frenzy.

I find no joy in the process of writing. I find joy at the end of writing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop Using Candy to Motivate Students

Looks like it is my unpopular belief that candy is one of the worst motivators in teaching. Let’s just think about this for a bit. Candy, literally pure SUGAR, is a common method teachers use to motivate students to work. Forget the fact that candy is a direct way to harm a child’s health; candy is no different than any other type of currency for children. You are paying them to be students. Teachers using the candy-motivation strategy are failing their students. They are sending the wrong message. If your goal is to help students motivate themselves, it won’t be accomplished by throwing candy their way. It is such a short-term effect that using it in the classroom won’t make any difference in student motivation. If, in fact, student motivation is your goal, then you need to create an atmosphere of positive learning. If you want students to care, if you want students to motivate themselves, the motivators you offer them as a teacher should not be extrinsic, but rather intrinsi...

Aim Higher: Simple Tips to Progress Your Career

When a door closes, a window opens. The best career advice I ever got was simple: You can do it . That's it. No embellishments. No clever analogies. No long winded message. You can do it, people have told me. With each time someone said it, I tried something new. I've succeeded. I've failed. And I've succeeded again. But this story isn't unique to me. You have likely experienced the same thing. That's how we all manage to work together in one of our nation's top thriving business hubs, progressing this company forward every day. If someone hasn't said it to you lately, I'd be glad to do the honors: You. Can. Do. It. So you can stop reading here if that was enough to rediscover your drive. But if you are looking for further inspiration, take a look at the top career rules I follow. They give me motivation to do my best, and hopefully, they'll do the same for you. Play to your strengths Think about what drew you to your career in the f...

Be the Inspiration Our Students Need

Friends and Family, as you may or may not know, I am now a high school teacher in Dallas. I teach 9th grade Professional Communications, which involves practical learning that applies to the real world, such as business writing, business etiquette, ACT prep, college and career readiness, and much more.  One of the first things I’d like to do for my scholars is connect them with people who work in the same industry they’d like to join. So far, my scholars have expressed an interest in dentistry, business, engineering, marine biology, nursing, medicine, acting, law, and journalism. They have also expressed interest in the following universities: UCLA, TCU, Florida State, MIT, Johns Hopkins, Harvard, Yale, and Berkeley. My scholars are very eager to learn more about these college and career paths and what it takes to succeed in them. I am reaching out to all my colleagues to assist my scholars in their networking. Please know that if I reach out to you, it is because you ar...